Saku Koivu is a name that has become synonymous with hockey greatness. He has been one of the most iconic players in the sport, and his legacy has been cemented by his incredible talent, hard work, and dedication to the game. However, there is much more to Saku Koivu than just his accomplishments on the ice. This article will delve into the life and net worth of this hockey legend.
Born in Turku, Finland, Saku Koivu began his hockey career at a young age and quickly rose through the ranks to become one of the most revered players in the history of the game. He played for several teams during his long career, including the Montreal Canadiens, where he became a fan favorite and captained the team for several years.
As well as his skills on the ice, Saku Koivu has also become known for his philanthropic work. He established the Saku Koivu Foundation in 2002, which supports cancer research and treatment in both Canada and Finland. This foundation has raised millions of dollars for cancer research, and Saku Koivu's dedication to this cause has earned him the respect and admiration of people around the world.
So, what exactly is Saku Koivu's net worth? While it's difficult to pinpoint an exact figure, it's estimated that his net worth is around $40 million. This is largely due to his successful career as a hockey player, as well as his various business ventures and charitable work.
This article will take a closer look at Saku Koivu's life and career, including his early years in hockey, his time with the Montreal Canadiens, and his philanthropic work off the ice. It will also examine his net worth and how he has achieved such enviable success both on and off the ice. So, let's dive in and explore the fascinating world of Saku Koivu.
Saku Koivu: Net Worth, Age, Born, Gender, Height, Country of Origin, Source of Wealth
Below is a table with all the important information about Saku Koivu:
|Net Worth:||$40 million|
|Age:||46 years old|
|Height:||5'10" (178 cm)|
|Country of Origin:||Finland|
|Source of Wealth:||Hockey (NHL player)|
Saku Koivu is a retired Finnish professional ice hockey player who played in the National Hockey League (NHL) for over 20 years. He was born on November 23, 1974, in Turku, Finland.
Koivu played center for several NHL teams throughout his career, including the Montreal Canadiens, Anaheim Ducks, and the Finnish national team. He officially retired from professional hockey on September 10, 2014.
As of 2021, Saku Koivu's net worth is estimated to be $40 million, primarily from his successful hockey career. He is still regarded as one of the greatest Finnish players of all time.
Saku Koivu is a retired Finnish professional ice hockey player who has made a name for himself in the National Hockey League (NHL).
- Koivu was born on November 23, 1974, in Turku, Finland.
- He played for the Finnish team Turun Palloseura in the SM-liiga before being drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in 1993.
- Koivu played for the Montreal Canadiens for over ten years, serving as the team's captain from 1999 to 2009.
- He later played for the Anaheim Ducks, where he served as an alternate captain.
- Koivu retired from the NHL in 2014 and had his jersey retired by the Montreal Canadiens.
Off the ice, Koivu has been involved in several philanthropic efforts through the Saku Koivu Foundation.
|Career Earnings||$52.8 million|
|Estimated Net Worth||$30 million|
Saku Koivu, born on November 23, 1974, in Turku, Finland, lived a happy and healthy childhood with his parents Jukka and Tuire Koivu, and his older brother Mikko. Saku showed an early interest in hockey, as it was a common pastime in his country. His family was supportive of his passion and encouraged him to pursue it.
At the age of 15, Saku joined the junior team of TPS, a hockey club in his hometown. He quickly proved his talent and was promoted to the senior team only a year later. His performance caught the attention of scouts from the National Hockey League (NHL), and he was drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in 1993.
Despite the challenge of adjusting to a new country and culture, Saku Koivu remained focused on his career and worked hard to improve his skills. He quickly became a star on the Canadiens' roster, and his humble and respectful attitude earned him the admiration of his teammates and fans.
Saku Koivu's career as a professional hockey player spanned over two decades, during which he played for several teams, including the Montreal Canadiens and Anaheim Ducks, in the NHL. Koivu was drafted by the Canadiens in 1993 and played with the team for 13 seasons, during which he captained the team for 8 years. He then played for the Ducks for 5 seasons before retiring in 2014.
Koivu was known for his skill as a playmaker and his strong defensive play. He was also a fan favorite, particularly in Montreal, where he was recognized for his leadership and perseverance in overcoming several health setbacks throughout his career.
After retiring from hockey, Koivu continued to be involved in the sport through coaching and management roles. He served as the captain of the Finnish national team in the 2014 Winter Olympics and later became the general manager of the team. He also worked as a scout for the Anaheim Ducks before joining the Columbus Blue Jackets as an assistant coach in 2020.
Off the ice, Koivu has been involved in charity work, including founding a cancer foundation in Finland, which provides support to families affected by the disease. He has also been involved in promoting hockey and sports in general, particularly among young people.
Awards and honors
- King Clancy Memorial Trophy (2007)
- Jere Lehtinen Award (2015)
- Canadiens' Jean Beliveau Award (2007)
Koivu was also inducted into the Finnish Hockey Hall of Fame in 2016, recognizing his contributions to the sport both in Finland and internationally.
How Saku Koivu Uses His Wealth
Saku Koivu, the retired Finnish hockey player, has amassed an estimated net worth of $44 million throughout his career. So, how does he spend his money?
One of Koivu's top priorities is giving back to his community. He has been involved with several charitable organizations and foundations, including the Finnish Cancer Society and Project Canaan, which supports orphaned and vulnerable children in Africa.
Aside from charitable donations, Koivu also enjoys spending his wealth on hobbies and interests. He is an avid golfer and has invested in several golf courses throughout Finland. Additionally, he has a passion for classic cars and has a collection worth millions.
As a former professional athlete, Koivu also invests in his health and fitness. He has his own personal training facility in Finland and regularly participates in endurance races and other physical challenges.
Lastly, as a family man, Koivu also spends his wealth on his loved ones. He has a wife and two children and enjoys traveling and exploring the world with them.
Saku Koivu Net Worth, Bio: Highlights
As a former professional hockey player, Saku Koivu has an impressive career history and a vast net worth. Here are some of the highlights of his life:
- Rising to fame: Saku Koivu became a household name in Finland during the early 1990s when he began to play for TPS Turku, leading the team to two championships.
- Joining the NHL: In 1995, Saku Koivu signed a contract with the Montreal Canadiens, becoming the first European-born captain in the team's history. He quickly became a fan favorite, playing for the team for over 10 years.
- International success: Saku Koivu represented Finland in various international tournaments, winning numerous awards and medals, including two Olympic bronze medals and a World Championship gold medal in 1995.
- Battling cancer: In 2001, Saku Koivu was diagnosed with Burkitt's lymphoma, a rare form of cancer. However, he made a miraculous recovery and returned to hockey the following year, earning the Bill Masterton Trophy for perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.
- Philanthropy and community involvement: Saku Koivu and his wife founded the Saku Koivu Foundation, which helps support research and treatment for cancer patients. He has also been actively involved in charity work and community projects throughout his career.
- Retirement and legacy: After playing for several teams, including the Anaheim Ducks and the Swiss team, Saku Koivu retired from professional hockey in 2014. He left behind a legacy as a talented athlete, leader, and philanthropist.
Saku Koivu's Inspirational Quotes
1. "The most important thing in life is not the triumph, but the fight."
Saku Koivu believed in the value of perseverance and the resilience of the human spirit. He believed that the most important thing in life is not about winning or losing, but rather, how we rise up after facing challenges and adversity.
2. "Success is not measured by what you accomplish, but by the obstacles you overcome."
For Saku, success was not about the destination, but the journey. He believed that true success is not just about accomplishments, but about prevailing over obstacles and adversities along the way.
3. "Life is full of challenges and ups and downs. It's how you deal with them that counts."
Saku Koivu was a firm believer that life is full of ups and downs and that nothing is ever handed to us on a silver platter. Instead, what ultimately mattered is how we face challenges and respond to adversity.
4. "Be grateful for what you have, even if it's not everything you want."
Saku Koivu believed that gratitude is essential for living a happy and fulfilling life. He encouraged us to appreciate what we have, even if it's not everything we want because it's what we have that makes us who we are.
5. "You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Finally, Saku Koivu believed that strength comes from within and that we all have the capacity to rise above challenges when we have no other choice. It is during these times when we discover our true strength and resilience as human beings.
|$40 million||$4.75 million||N/A|
Famous Success Lessons from Saku Koivu
Believe in Yourself
Saku Koivu was a talented hockey player who believed in himself even when others didn't. He started his career in Finland, playing for TPS Turku, before being drafted by the Montreal Canadiens. Despite his small stature, he proved himself as a leader on and off the ice, serving as captain of both the Canadiens and the Finnish national team.
Koivu knew that success doesn't come easy and that hard work is key. He spent countless hours practicing and honing his skills, always striving to get better. He pushed himself to the limit and inspired his teammates to do the same. His dedication to the sport paid off, culminating in a gold medal with Finland at the 1995 World Championships.
Persevere Through Adversity
Koivu faced his fair share of setbacks throughout his career. One of the most challenging was when he was diagnosed with cancer in 2001. He fought the disease with everything he had, refusing to let it define him. He continued to play hockey and eventually returned to the Canadiens' lineup, making a triumphant comeback and proving that he was stronger than any obstacle.
Lead by Example
Koivu was a natural leader who led by example. He never shied away from a challenge and always rose to the occasion. He could be counted on to make big plays when it mattered most, inspiring his teammates to follow his lead. He was a positive influence in the locker room and a role model for young players both on and off the ice.
Never Give Up
Koivu's perseverance and determination made him a true success story. He never gave up, even in the face of adversity, and always remained focused on his goals. He served as an inspiration to countless fans around the world and proved that anything is possible with hard work, dedication, and a never-give-up attitude.
|1993||SM-liiga Rookie of the Year|
|1995||World Championships Gold Medal|
|2002-03||Bud Light Plus/Minus Award|
|2017||IIHF Hall of Fame Inductee|
Interesting or Surprising Facts About Saku Koivu
- Olympic hero: Saku Koivu was a member of the Finnish national ice hockey team that won the silver medal at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy.
- Montreal Canadiens captain: Koivu served as team captain of the Montreal Canadiens for a total of 10 seasons, making him the longest-serving captain in Canadiens history.
- Cancer survivor: In 2001, Koivu was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and had to undergo chemotherapy treatment for several months. He made a remarkable recovery and returned to play with the Canadiens that same season.
- Number retirement: In 2014, the Montreal Canadiens retired Koivu's number 11 jersey in recognition of his outstanding contributions to the team during his career.
- Multi-lingual: Koivu speaks several languages fluently, including Finnish, French, English, and Swedish.
- Top scorers: Koivu is one of the most successful Finnish-born players in NHL history, having scored a total of 832 points in 1124 regular season games played.
- Charitable foundation: In 2002, Koivu founded the Saku Koivu Foundation, which raises money for cancer research and healthcare in his native Finland.
- Family of hockey players: Koivu comes from a family of ice hockey players, including his brother Mikko Koivu, who currently plays for the Minnesota Wild, and his father Jukka Koivu, who played professionally in Finland.
Saku Koivu is a retired Finnish professional ice hockey player who has a net worth of approximately $25 million. He was born in Turku, Finland in 1974 and began his professional career with TPS Turku in 1992. From 1995 to 2009, Koivu played for the Montreal Canadiens of the NHL and was the team's captain from 1999 to 2009.
Throughout his career, Koivu was known for his strong two-way play and his leadership on and off the ice. He was a skilled playmaking center who could also score goals when needed, and he was a key member of the Finnish national team. Koivu retired from professional hockey in 2014 and has since been involved in various charitable causes through his Saku Koivu Foundation.
Koivu's estimated net worth includes earnings from his long career as a professional hockey player, as well as various endorsements and investments in real estate. He has also been involved in coaching and scouting since his retirement, and it is likely that he will continue to be involved in the sport in some capacity in the coming years.
This is a disgraceful, scumbag move
This is a disgraceful, scumbag move by Eck 1 day ago 2 minutes, 25 seconds 280,421 views
What is Saku Koivu's net worth?
Saku Koivu's net worth is estimated to be around $40 million.
What teams did Saku Koivu play for during his career?
Saku Koivu played for two teams during his NHL career; the Montreal Canadiens and the Anaheim Ducks. He also played for TPS in the Finnish League before coming to the NHL.
What was Saku Koivu's biggest achievement as a hockey player?
Saku Koivu's biggest achievement as a hockey player was winning a gold medal with Finland at the 1995 World Championships. He was also the captain of the Finnish national team for several years.
What is Saku Koivu doing now that he has retired from hockey?
Since retiring from hockey, Saku Koivu has been spending more time with his family and has been involved in various charitable causes. He has also done some work in broadcasting, including as a commentator for Finland's national hockey team.